Friday, March 13, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire



I won't bother repeating what just about every critic in the world has said. Let it suffice to say that this movie is spectacular.

But why? There's nothing here I haven't seen before. The visuals, soundtrack and story are everything for which you could hope, as they combine to reaffirm any faith you may have lost in humanity. Normally, I hate that. It's too idealistic for my uber-postmodern views. I even thought this as I was watching the film. I have a terrible habit of trying to dissect movies as I'm watching, but I can't help it. Near the end, I caught myself thinking, "Everything's going to end up happy.
Damn, this was just okay." Then, as the film did a quick recap of itself (a technique for which I would also normally have a distaste), I realized I didn't care about all my snobby crap. I loved these characters and wanted them to be happy.

As the films ended with the quintessential spinning camera kiss, I couldn't help but smile. Very few films have this effect on me, and I really have no idea why this one did. But who cares? If something makes me feel this way, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: